Real Food Radio Episode 016: The Impact of Stress
Welcome to Real Food Radio! This week Nicole is on assignment, so I invited Mary Wingo, Ph.D to the show for an interview about stress and the impact stress has on the human body. Dr. Mary Wingo is an ex-pat living in Ecuador, recently publishing the book The Impact of the Human Stress Response.
In this episode, we discuss what stress is, the effects of stress on physiological health, causes of stress, and solutions for reducing stress and improving adaptation.
About Dr. Mary Wingo:
Mary Wingo was born in the United States where she earned a Ph.D. in human stress research from The University of North Texas. in 2014, She emigrated to Ecuador, a tiny country in South America. Living in a new and very different society opened her eyes to the unsustainable social, economic, and political costs preventable stress causes in the modern world. Dr. Wingo’s aim is to clearly explain to the public the biological mechanisms behind the stress response, as well as its staggering costs to society.
Also discussed in Episode 16…
- Dr. Mary Wingo’s site
- The Impact of the Human Stress Response: The Biological Origins and Solutions to Human Stress
- Stressors in the environment
- Adaptive mechanisms
- Stress is additive
- Bucket of stress
- Spike in stress related disease and mortality
- Stress hormones & metabolism
- Stress mechanisms-help detect stressors, keep body functioning
- Stress treated as a punctuated phenomenon
- Differences between stresses in modernized and traditional societies
- Causes of stress
- Over strain on cognitive and emotional mechanisms
- Too busy syndrome
- Living in an unequal society, inequality
- Loss of social capital- connectedness
- Replaced social capital with financial capital
- how folks can reduce stressors in life
- Interactions with people in the community
- realistic solutions to better adapt, remove stressors etc.
- Important to understand stressors
Disclaimer: Nothing in this podcast should be taken as medical advice.
Boston Functional Nutrition on Facebook
Whole Health RD
Whole Health RD on Facebook
Music Credit: www.bensound.com
You can find us on iTunes and on Stitcher – be sure to subscribe!
Thanks for listening!
If you liked this article, join our email list to receive more quality, women's health content right in your inbox.
Your email address is safe. We promise to never spam you.
Leave a Comment