Sharing one of my absolute favorite recipes with you today! It’s a favorite for a couple of reasons. 1. You can make ingredient swaps based on what you have and/or what’s in season. 2. You can change the flavor and add some variety by changing out the herbs and spices. 3. It provides you with a hearty, balanced, nutrient-dense breakfast option that simply needs to be reheated and paired with some fruit, a piece of sourdough bread or my personal favorite, sauteed chunks of sweet potato which I buy frozen and pre-cubed for convenience. While the frittata is heating, I saute the cubes straight out of the freezer in avocado oil or butter.
Don’t be scared by the long(ish) list of ingredients in this recipe! The beauty of this is that any of the veggies and herbs can be swapped out for what you have on hand. And by any, I really mean anything. I have made these for years, and no two are the same. It’s a great way to use veggies that are nearing their end, the haul you picked up at the farmer’s market, or make sure of convenient frozen veggies. The protein can also be omitted or swapped with leftover meat. Note that the cooking time on this recipe is based on the meat being fully cooked to start. If you have raw meat, cook separately and then incorporate. Cheese is also an excellent addition here if you tolerate it. Feta, goat cheese, or sprinkle some raw, freshly grately cheese on top during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Be cautious of pre-shredded cheese as they often use a number of fillers and anti-caking agents that decrease the quality.
This dish freezes well to make in bulk!
- 2 TB olive oil (or ghee, avocado oil, coconut oil etc)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups mixed seasonal vegetables, chopped (peeled if needed) e.g. sweet potato, zucchini, beetroot, carrot, squash, cherry tomatoes etc*
- 1 cup frozen organic corn
- 2 organic chicken sausages, cooked and cut into rounds**
- 1 bunch Tuscan/ curly Kale, stems removed, shredded
- 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves removed (or 1 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1 cup fresh parsley***
- 10 pasture raised eggs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- If roasting your vegetables (can do ahead of time and store in fridge). Preheat oven to 360F (180F). Lay out chopped veggies on a lined baking tray and coat in 1 TB olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Pan fry the chicken sausages unil cooked through and cut into rounds. Set aside.
- Add remaining 1TB olive oil to a large cast iron pan or skillet. Saute the onion until soft.
- Add the corn and kale and saute until slightly wilted.
- Add in the sliced sausage and roasted/frozen veggies. Stir through to combine
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and pour into the pan, gently folding to combine.
- Stir through the rosemary leaves and parsley.
- Remove from heat and transfer into preheated (360F/180C) oven if using a cast iron pan. If using a skillet, pour mixture into a large baking dish.. Bake for 20 minutes our until slightly golden on top and cooked through.
** Pre-cook sausages ahead of time or substitute with ½ cup full fat, raw, crumbled cheese of choice e.g. feta, cheddar, halloumi
***Substitute in fresh or dried herbs of choice!